Writing a grant budget can be daunting, but we’re here to help. When applying for one of our grants that requires a budget, please follow these simple instructions:
STEP 1: Download our Grant Budget Template, which is in Microsoft Excel format.
STEP 2: Double click on any open cell to enter information.
- Start by entering the Project Title. This should match the Project Title on your application.
- Enter the school year in which your project will take place
- Replace Personnel 1-3 with any non-TCSD#1 employees who will need to be paid for this project. Examples include speakers, workshop leaders, entertainers, etc.
- Marketing includes any money you spend on advertising, graphic design, social media promotions, etc. You can lump this all together.
- Printing includes the cost of producing copies, handouts, fliers, etc.
- Equipment includes items for long-term use that you purchased or rented for the project. Examples include computers, books, tools, AV equipment, etc.
- Supplies are items for short-term use that you purchased for the project. Examples include paper plates, plastic silverware, art supplies, workbooks, etc.
- Meals and snacks are pretty self-explanatory. Yum!
- Travel and transportation should include any costs for transporting students and/or travel expenses paid for non-TCSD#1 personnel.
- The “Other” line is where you should include any miscellaneous expenses.
- If you need additional lines for any section, you can insert them by right-clicking on a line number and selecting “Insert.” The worksheet will no longer correctly calculate your total and you will have to do so manually.
STEP 3: Enter the income sources that you will use to pay for the project. We encourage every applicant to seek multiple funding sources. If you have not yet secured funding from a particular source, but are applying, please select N (no) under the SECURED column.
STEP 4: Make sure that your project income is equal to your project expenses. This shows us that you’ve thought through how to cover the entire project.
STEP 5: Save your work! You can save your budget as an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) or as a PDF.
STEP 6: In your Submittable grant application, click the Choose Files button and follow the instructions to upload your file.